Explosives or large rock breakers are the normal methods for excavation of hard rock. restrictions on blasting are getting stricter and the use of rock breakers is not always feasible due to vibrations, noise restrictions or simply too hard rock. Rock splitters offer an alternative method for efficient excavation of large volumes of hard rock without the need for explosives, vibrations or fly rock. The splitter can be mounted from a crane or a normal excavator for open pits or shafts, or mounted on a specialized carrier for horizontal tunneling. For large volumes of rock, there is simply no mechanical method more efficient, safe and silent than the rock splitter.
The working principle is based on a 2-counter wedge inserted in a pre-drilled hole. A hydraulic cylinder pushes out a centre wedge between the counter wedges to spread them apart and the rock is split.
For vertical applications, the rock splitter is mounted on a wire from a conventional excavator of 12 ton class or larger. For horizontal applications (tunneling), the splitter is mounted on a specialized carrier with telescopic boom and rotator.
Key advantages include:
- Safety: rock splitting is done without any explosives, pollution or noise. Therefore it is possible to work in an environment where there are restrictions for such issues. Also, it offers a safe working environment
- Productivity: rock splitters offer you highest possible productivity due to a very high splitting force and a high durability and reliability
- Accuracy: rock splitting offers more accuracy than explosives because the direction of splitting is extremely easy to control
- Efficiency: Splitting does not cause any flying objects and let you control splitting direction easily, there is no need for temporal evacuation that causes the pause of the other operations and labour costs loss.
- Flexibility: rock splitters work in minimum working areas; it adapts to a variety of working conditions.